The historic Putnam Cottage, also known as Knapp Tavern, is a Greenwich area landmark dating back to the American Revolution.
Located at 243 East Putnam Avenue in Greenwich, Connecticut, Putnam Cottage runs aside the Boston Post Road.
The Knapp family originally built Putnam Cottage. In 1750, the house expanded, becoming a Knapp Tavern, serving travelers along the Post Road and troops during the Revolutionary War.In fact, General George Washington stopped at the location for lunch with his troops in 1776.
Since 1910, Putnam Cottage has been the preservation project of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Putnam Hill Chapter.
The cottage has been updated and modernized with features like plaster ceilings and a front porch.
In 1976, Putnam Cottage underwent a far-reaching renovation. Currently, the building houses 18th-century pieces and has a wide-ranging collection of its namesake’s General Isreal Putnam’s keepsakes.
Putnam Cottage is currently upheld as a public Revolutionary-era tavern museum. The museum is open to the public and is also used as a location for historical reenactments, tours, and events.
Volunteer members from the Putnam Hill Daughters of the American Revolution hold group tours by appointment. They also have several public events at the location throughout the year.
The Putnam Cottage museum is open on Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m.